How to add a home medication
To enter the patient’s current or home medications:
1. Go to Manage Patients and locate the patient. Click on the patient or select the menu icon to the right side of your screen and select Edit
2. Click on HOME MEDS
3. Enter the medication name in the Drug name field
4. Enter the dose, unit, frequency and the date and time the medication was last taken
5. If you would like to add more medications, click ADD HOME MEDICATION and repeat steps three and four
6. Click SAVE to store the medications to the patients profile
How to discontinue a home medication
Providers who wish to remove home meds from the patient profile can follow the steps outlined below:
1. Go to Manage Patients and locate the patient. Click on the patient or select the 3 dots to the right side of your screen and select Edit
2. Click on HOME MEDS
3. You can select 1 of 2 reasons to remove the home medications from the patient profile; Mark as error or discontinue. Choose the reason you would like to use.
- Mark as error acts to remove the medication from the active list when it was entered by mistake
- Discontinue indicates that the patient is no longer actively taking the medication
- NOTE: Both mark the home medication as inactive, removing the possibility of any drug-drug interaction when prescribing. Any changes will be recorded and displayed in the lower portion of the page with the option to re-continue a discontinued medication after saving.
4. Once you've selected the reason, click SAVE to apply this change
NOTE: When prescribing for this patient, you should now notice that there are no active home medications recorded.
How to disable Treat from recording home medications
Treat automatically records all submitted prescription orders for a patient in the patients profile. Any orders prescribed using Treat will appear under the patients HOME MEDS. Facility administrators who chose to turn off the capturing of home medications for the patients in their facility can do so by following the steps below:
1. From the My Account menu, go to the Settings
2. Select the Facility tab
3. Scroll down to Settings and select EDIT on your right-hand side
4. Deselect the option below (Record prescribed medications to patient home medications) and click on SAVE
NOTE: This is different than the Medication History feature that you find in the patient card when prescribing. This captures prescription orders sent to pharmacies from prescribers within your facility using Treat where the Medication History feature provides a patients' a history of the prescription orders sent to pharmacies nationwide from the Surescripts network.