Depending on the e-prescribing license purchased, prescribers will be able to prescribe controlled and non-controlled substances. To prescribe an order:
- In the Prescribe tab, select a patient from the Patient List to open an encounter (patient visit).
NOTE: The Manage Patients tab also allows you to open an encounter by selecting the icon and choosing the option to Prescribe for the patient.
TIP: Review the Patient Card to ensure patient information is accurate. If needed, update any outdated information by clicking EDIT. Within the Patient Card, you can also review, add, and update patient allergies, diagnosis, and current medications.
- Add a default pharmacy or search for a new pharmacy by clicking the edit icon next to Pharmacy information.
- If prescribing a controlled substance, be sure to select a pharmacy that supports EPCS by using the “Filter results by” field
- The Patient Card also offers a Medication History feature powered by Surescripts where prescribers can view all the prescription orders for the patient in the past 12 months. If needed, view the history to make the most informed decision on what medication to prescribe. Learn more about this feature
- Return to the encounter and in the search field, type the name of the medication you wish to prescribe.
- Results are narrowed down the more that you type but the search must be at least three characters
- Select a medication from the results
- Immediately after selecting a medication, you may receive a clinical interaction alert if the patient has any active current medications or allergies that interact with the medication being prescribed.
- Review the interaction and level of severity so that you may pick the best choice for your patient. Select a reason to override and continue with prescription order or remove the order from the encounter.
- Enter the prescription details on the form
- Duration (Days Supply)
- Treat provides an auto Sig generation feature that adds the Sig on your behalf using the previous populated fields. This helps calculate the Dispense Amount and Dispense Unit on your behalf.
- Alternatively, you may enter your own free text Sig but will need to enter the appropriate Dispense Amount and Dispense Unit.
- Dispense amount
- Dispense unit
- Refills (Optional)
- Refills for Controlled Substances are not allowed. This is only available for non-controlled substances. If you need to renew a prescription order for controlled or non-controlled substances, select the Renew Prescription tab within the encounter to view past orders.
- Earliest fill date (Optional)
- Substitutes allowed (Always ON)
- Note to pharmacy (Optional)
NOTE: Use the RESET PRESCRIPTION option anytime you want to remove all the content entered in the form.
- After completing the prescription form, the ADD FAVORITE button will help you save this order to your favorites for quick and easy use in the future. Learn more about this feature.
- When ready, click the ADD PRESCRIPTION button.
- To add another order to the encounter, go to the search field and repeat steps 1-6.
- When ready, click FINALIZE PRESCRIPTION to land on the Summary screen
- Review your encounter details to ensure you are ready to submit the prescription order(s).
- If prescribing a controlled substance, be sure to select the DEA Number you would like to use. If only one is available, Treat will select it for you.
If prescribing controlled substances, you will be required to e-sign and complete a multi factor authentication step for the order(s) to be transmitted. Learn more about the next steps for controlled substances.
Note: Disable pop-up blockers to display the print dialog