Pharmacists routinely have a need to send a RxChange request to the prescriber so that the pharmacist can fill a prescription that will meet the patient’s need most effectively. When a Rx change request is presented to the prescriber, the prescriber can choose to Approve, Reject or Edit from the available response types.
An RxChange Request may be sent with the following reasons:
- Allow the pharmacy to dispense a generic medication when substitution has been previously not allowed.
- Pharmacy would like to request that a prescriber review the drug requested and obtain a prior authorization from the payer for the existing prescription.
- Request a prescriber to authorize a therapy change to the original prescription. This includes the workflow where a pharmacy requests a 30-90 day quantity or a formulary change.
- Request a prescriber to authorize a change due to the pharmacy being out of stock of the requested medication.
- Request a prescriber to clarify the original prescription.
- Request prescriber to provide authorization information, such as confirming their DEA number or enrollment with the prescription benefit plan.
Steps for process RxChange Request:
- Click Notifications on the top right of the page to view pharmacy-initiated rx change requests.
- Filter for pending requests using the search field or sort by date and patient name. Notifications RxChange requests that have not been actioned and the total number of requests that need attention for the facility.
- Click on Details for a given patient and view RxChange request details.
- Click on ellipsis icon and select Open Order to open encounter for fillable prescription requests (dispensing of a generic, therapy change, change to the original prescription due to out-stock or clarification of original prescription) or click on Reject to ignore the request.
- Once encounter opens, change request can be approve without changes, make changes and approve or reject.
- For prior authorization and prescriber authorization response (non-fillable) when click on Open Order a panel is opened to proceed with response. Click on Approve and provide response or click on Reject to ignore the request.
Prescription Details on work list page
Option when click on eclipse icon
Sample of Response panel for non-fillable request
Sample of Response page for fillable request